Sunday, September 15, 2013

French Night at Rich's Restaurant

 Mom, Suzy, Kim and I were lucky enough to get tickets to Rich's restaurant for French Night.  It turned out that Rich was the student in charge that night of the whole restaurant!

The menus were beautiful.

The server brought out the pre-appetizer: raw meat and raw quail egg.  Wow!

Being brave.

Suzy ordered escargots (snails), and they came tucked inside a mushroom.  They weren't bad, and the broth was delicious.

Kim won't be requesting them from the Canon Center anytime soon, though.

Kim and Mom with their fried frog legs.  Seriously.  Which, not disappointingly, tasted similar to chicken.

 Suzy's first taste of roquefort cheese.  Can you say STRONG flavor?
(Suzy would probably add the word "feet" to the description of that cheese.)
Wikipedia describes it as having "distinctive veins of green mold." Where's the mild cheddar when you need it?

Melt-in-your mouth beef tenderloin!  Topped with a mild white fish and amazing hollandaise sauce.

I can't remember the name of this peasant soup.  It had lamb, white beans, and lots of other stuff.

Delicious halibut, hollandaise sauce, wild rice, and the most artistic broccoli you've ever seen.  (Not pictured very well here, sorry.)

Kim got the duck.  It had a yummy orange glaze and was really tender.

The night's official sous chef, Rich, running the show very competently in the kitchen.

DESSERT!!!!  (insert drool here) Dessert. Was. Unbelievable.   Mom and Kim got the chocolate mousse.

Suzy loved her creme brûlée.

My apple-pastry was beautiful, and I literally wiped that platter clean looking for any remaining trace of that out-of-this-world caramel/butterscotch sauce.

The whole gang.


It was a great night.  The food was amazing.  Rich was amazing.  And Suzy, amazingly, could jump this high for a picture after eating all 5 courses.


8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Not pictured (unfortunately)- Janel's face after trying the raw quail egg! She was way braver than me!

janel said...

It was my face after the lamb that I didn't want to post. Unlike the egg, I couldn't get that one down.

Danielle said...

Wow! That looks so exotic and fun! Way to go, Rich!

krista said...

Wowie! Way to branch out and try some crazy foods. The one that gets me is the raw egg yolk for the appetizer. Zowch. Wish I could have come too though. Looks fun and overall yummy (with a few weird stuffs in there)

Linda said...

Bon Appetit! Thanks Richard for your valiant efforts to turn us into a cultured bunch. It was a delightful evening. The server even commented that we were known back in the kitchen as "the fun table!" I'm not sure that counts as culture, but we had the best time!

Becca said...

Wow, I didn't realize Richie was in charge! Thanks for eating those quail eggs. The less quail eating my plants, the better. Can't believe Rich has come so far--from brownie sunday evenings to this!

krista said...

Becca,
As I read your comment, I was remembering how you were telling Micah to come look at all the quail in your yard--only to realize they were gobbling up your new plants, and I couldn't help laughing out loud!

Suzy said...

That creme brule stuff was SOOOO GOOD!!!!